This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with accessibility issues, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our visitors. The Gerrard family own and run the business and take pride in the upkeep of the site as well as maintaining its originality and common areas. The family also take their responsibilities for providing universal access provision very seriously and adhere to the Equality Act accordingly. They work hard to provide the highest level of access to the whole site but in some instances, due to the historic nature, the Courtyard in particular, this is not always possible.
1. For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website.
2. The nearest train station is Cuddington which is approximately 1.5 miles away. The nearest bus stop is on the A556 along from the site entrance and is approximately 500 metres away at the traffic lights. There are no buses that directly enter the site.
3. The centre is built on a slight incline up to the main area and courtyard and mainly laid with asphalt on the pathways and roads. All car parks are either laid with tarmac or hard standing plainings. All paths around the site are hard surfaced with areas to allow wheelchair mobility. There are cobble sets located in the courtyard itself along with traditional flat herringbone tiles. These cobbles are closely packed forming a relatively flat surface but uneven in places.
Free car parking
1. The main car park is located immediately as you enter the centre and there are clear signs directing you to the disabled parking that can be located at the top car park. There are 10 disabled spaces within the whole site. Please take care crossing the road from these designated spaces.
2. Both our large car parks are floodlit to allow customers to get out of and into their cars safely although some areas of the car parks can be less lit due to the shear size of them.
Shops and facilities
1. All shops have wheelchair access into them and within the buildings.
2. The restaurant has slightly raised cobbled area at the entrance into the building, wheelchair users may require assistance to enter. There is plenty of room around the tables to allow wheelchair access. The restaurant also has an outside seating area with space to allow wheelchair users to manoeuvre freely. There is one free wheelchair available at the restaurant and this is on a first come first served basis.
3. There are three designated disabled toilets on site and can be found:
i. At the toilet block off main car park
ii. At the toilet block near to disabled car parking
iii. Within the restaurant toilet area All toilets have twist locks, lateral transfer space and fitted grab rails (both fixed and drop down varieties). A key is not required to lock any of these toilets. The sinks in all toilets are fitted with lever type taps, paper towel dispensers and mirrors. Toilet also have hand dryers. No dispensers are higher than 100cm from the floor. None of these disabled toilets are fitted with an emergency alarm.
When an event is organised Blakemere will try its upmost to make sure that plenty of easy access is provided and the designated area of the event is free from obstacles with plenty of room to manoeuvre whether it is in a marquee, a field event or within the cobbled courtyard. Please note that field events can make the ground less stable and flat and therefore care should be taken when entering. If the ground becomes too unstable or difficult to pass through then every attempt will be made to provide a floor covering to help with the conditions.
1. Assistance & guide dogs are welcome and water is provided around the site.
2. Our information brochures can be made available in large print upon request.
3. Selected staff and volunteers have received disability awareness training.
4. We have two wheelchairs available for use for those who require it whilst visiting us.
5. We have hearing loops in the Visitor Information Centre and the Touring Park reception.
If you would like to discuss your access requirements before you visit, please contact the main office on 01606 883261 or email email@example.com